We're pleased to announce several updates to the Washington State Child Well-Being Data Portal - POC's web tool that provides access to data about children and families who are involved with the child welfare system. The portal aims to enhance transparency for the state, build understanding of how the system is working and provide decision support for child welfare advocates and policymakers.
But we knew there was room for improvement for the Data Portal. In order to make this tool even more useful for the people who use it, we recently made updates to the user interface and also added several new filters so you can see the data in more ways. Here are a few of the changes we made:
- New data landing page helps you quickly find to the information or tools you want rather than searching through multiple pages to find exactly what you need.
- New County Dashboard provides an at-a-glance view of the child welfare system by county, region or state - you can click on individual counties to reveal key data for that county or click on a specific data category (e.g., % placements in kin care) to see the differences across all counties for that specific issue.
- More data filters that allow you to zoom in on the details that interest you most - such as the number of out-of-home placements, duration of out-of-home care stay, type of services received, type of child abuse/neglect allegation and more. We also reorganized the filters, so the basic demographic filters are up top and the more advanced filters are below.
- Easy image and data download options allow you to download the chart or data on your screen so it can easily be placed into documents or presentations with all of the right details.
- New social sharing tools that allow you to share your own visualizations with your colleagues and friends.
Since the Data Portal launched, it has become a go-to resource for many - everyone from policymakers to family court judges to agency staff to advocacy partners have found the tool to be valuable in helping understand how the system is working and what areas need improvement. If you have any questions about the Data Portal or would like to schedule an online or in-person tutorial, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.