HB1572 directs the college board and the student achievement council to participate in a pilot (4 college districts and 2 public 4 year institutions) to provide assistance to students experiencing homelessness and to students who were in the foster care system when they graduated high school.
Accommodations that must be provided include but are not limited to:
· access to laundry facilities,
· locker room and shower facilities,
· reduced-price meals or meal plans,
· food banks,
· short-term housing or housing assistance (esp. during seasonal breaks), and
· case management services.
The colleges and 4 year institutions must provide the legislature with information related to the pilot, including:
· the number of students experiencing homelessness and number who were in foster care who participated;
· the number of students assisted by the pilot;
· strategies for accommodating students experiencing homelessness and former foster care students;
· and recommendations for how these students could be better served.
The pilot expires July 1, 2023.