Amends existing RCW to require an evaluation of all children entering the foster care system must be evaluated for identification of long term needs, including a screening for traumatic brain injury, within 20 thirty days of placement.
Also amends existing law to require the secretary study and develop:
· a comprehensive plan for the evaluation and identification of all children and youth in need of long-term care or assistance, including, but not limited to individuals with mental illness, developmental disabilities, medical fragility, serious emotional or behavioral disabilities, and physical impairments;
· guidelines for transitional services, between long-term care programs, based on the person's age or mental, physical, emotional, or medical condition; and
· a statutory proposal for the emancipation of minors.
Updated on 4.12.19:
- Replaces the requirement that the DCYF conduct a TBI screen on foster youth within 30 days of entry into foster care with a requirement that the DCYF, in consultation with the foster youth health plan, evaluate:
- TBI screening tools for foster youth;
- Options to incorporate that screening tool into existing screens for children in out of home care; and
Treatment actions for youth whom a potential TBI is identified using a screening tool.