HB 1768 intends to modernize substance use disorder professional practice, and does so by replacing “chemical dependency” in various RCWs with “substance use disorder,” as well as by providing official definitions and requirements surrounding professional practice.
The legislature amends RCW 18.205.010 to recognize substance use disorder professionals as discrete health professionals, as well as to establish that substance use disorder professional certification serves the public interest.
RCW 18.205.020 is amended to include definitions for:
- “Substance use disorder counseling”
- Employing the core competencies of substance use disorder counseling to assist or attempt to assist individuals who are using or dependent on alcohol or other drugs;
- “Substance use disorder professional”
- An individual certified in substance use disorder counseling under this chapter; and
- “Substance use disorder professional trainee”
- An individual working toward the education and experience requirements for certification as a substance use disorder professional.