This act creates a new chapter in Title 28B RCW which establishes the Social Work Professional Loan Repayment Program, administered by the office, which must:
- verify credentialed social work professionals who are eligible to participate;
- adopt rules and develop guidelines to administer the program;
- coordinate with the OFM Human Resources Division and the Student Achievement Council to publicize the program and maximize participation; and
- accept grants and donations from public and private sources for the program.
Section 4 defines that social workers employed by the DSHS children’s administration or DCYF are eligible to participate in the program two years after commencing employment as a social worker for either agency.
Each participant is eligible for:
- quarterly or more frequent payments;
- a maximum lifetime award of $50,000, for up to 10 consecutive years, until the loan the repaid;
- repayment of loans that shall begin no later than 90 days after the individual becomes a participant;
- payments shall be made quarterly, until;
- the loan is repaid;
- the participant becomes ineligible due to discontinued service; or
- the award limits are reached.
Section 4 also specifies that loans from federal government sources may be repaid by the program.
Conclusively, section 6 establishes that the Social Work Professional Loan Repayment Fund is created in custody of the state treasurer.