HB 2373 is a companion (same as) to SB 6074. See SB 6074 for a summary of the bill.
HB 2373 as amended by the Appropriations Subcommittee on Education:
- The date of the OSPI report to the Legislature and Governor changed to every other year starting January 10, 2015, rather than every other year starting December 1, 2014;
- School districts are required to make an annual effort that strongly encourages the homeless student liaisons to attend trainings;
- Language is clarified specifying that reports to the OSPI, Legislature, and Governor include the number of identified homeless students, rather than the number of homeless students;
- The requirement that school districts provide a brochure to parents describing the services and support for homeless students, is changed to a requirement that school districts include this information with other information distributed to students at enrollment or at the beginning of the school year; and
- School districts are strongly encouraged to use a variety of communications each year to notify students and families about services and support available to them if they are experiencing homelessness, and lists some communication options.