Status Summary

First reading, referred to Human Services, Reentry & Rehabilitation on 1.17.19. Executive action taken in the Senate Committee on Human Services, Reentry & Rehabilitation on 2.7.19; 1st substitute bill passed and referred to Ways & Means. Referred to Ways & Means on 2.8.19. Public hearing scheduled in the Senate Committee on Human Services, Reentry & Rehabilitation on 2.19.19 at 3:30 p.m. (updated 2.15.19)

Legislative Session



In Progress



Establishes creating alternatives to total confinement for certain qualifying persons with minor children. The bill outlines many definitions related to criminal offenses. And then amends RCW 9.94A.655 and 2018 c 58 s 45: 

(1) An offender is eligible for the parenting sentencing alternative if: 

(a) The high end of the standard sentence range for the current offense is greater than one year; 

(b) The offender has no prior or current conviction for a felony ((that is a)) sex offense ((or a violent offense)); 

(c) The offender has ((not been found by the United States attorney general to be subject to a deportation detainer or order and does not become subject to a deportation order during the period of the sentence)) no current conviction for a violent felony offense; 

 (2) Prior juvenile adjudications are not considered offenses when considering eligibility for the parenting sentencing alternative. 

(3) To assist the court in making its determination, the court may order the department to complete ((either)) a risk assessment report, including a family impact statement or a chemical dependency screening report as provided in RCW 9.94A.500, ((or both reports)) prior to sentencing. 

(((3))) (4) If the court is considering this alternative, the court shall request that the department contact the Department off Children, Youth, and Families to determine if the agency has an open child welfare case or prior substantiated referral of abuse or neglect involving the offender or if the agency is aware of any substantiated case of abuse or neglect with a tribal child welfare agency involving the offender. 

(a) If the offender has an open child welfare case, the department will provide the release of information waiver and request that The Department of Children, Youth, and Families or the tribal child welfare agency provide a report to the court.