Partners for Our Children

A mechanism is provided for persons convicted in adult court for a crime committed at age 16 or 17 (between 1997 and 2018) to petition for the vacation of their conviction and disposition of the offense in juvenile court.

The statute would apply to the following convictions: robbery in the first degree, drive-by shooting, burglary in the first degree by a juvenile with a criminal history, or any violent offense when the juvenile is alleged to have been armed with a firearm. Upon receiving the petition, the superior court shall vacate the judgment and sentence and transfer the case to juvenile court if the outlined requirements are met.

$1,000,000 is appropriated for legal representation for persons eligible to file a petition under this act.