This act establishes the Center for Equity and Cultural Competency within OSPI to increase equity, diversity, inclusion, and cultural competency within all aspects of the public school system.
The Center for Equity and Cultural Competency must:
- identify and provide research regarding best practices that can be used by public schools to promote equity, diversity, and inclusion, while increasing cultural sensitivity and competence of staff, students, and their families;
- consider various diverse aspects of individuals when developing or identifying best practices and training materials;
- develop a continuum of equity, diversity, inclusion, and cultural competency training materials;
- train facilitators on the use of such training materials; and
- provide technical assistance with the purpose of the center.
Beginning on September 1st, 2020, and biennially thereafter, OSPI must report the effectiveness of the center and how the services provided have been used and by whom.
Section 5 adds a new section to RCW chapter 28A.415 to include that school districts and educational service districts must use the training materials developed to provide job-embedded, ongoing staff training opportunities.