Here are some ways to participate during the 2021 Washington state legislative session:
- Universal remote testimony: The Legislature has expanded remote testimony capabilities so people can testify on any bill from anywhere up to an hour prior to a committee meeting.
- Submit written testimony: People can also submit written testimony on any bill scheduled for a public hearing. People have long been able to submit written comment on a bill, but prior to this year, those comments were sent directly to the constituent’s own legislators. The new written testimony system saves comments where committee members and staff can access and read it, and where committee staff will later place it in the committee file and archive it where it will be maintained as part of the public record.
- Written testimony can be submitted at the same links used to sign-in for public testimony above.
- Set up a Zoom with your legislator: Due to Covid-19 protocols, legislators won’t be meeting in person with constituents, but people are encouraged to schedule Zoom meetings with their senators and representatives.
- To find your legislator’s contact information and schedule a meeting: https://app.leg.wa.gov/MemberEmail/
- It’s all on TVW: As always, every committee meeting, floor session, press conference and special event will be broadcast at TVW.org.
- Here’s an article from Crosscut with some more information.